Alex Grishman has spent his career advising and counseling some of the largest financial institutions and some of the most well-known cryptocurrency players in all aspects of financial transactions. As co-chair of the firm’s Digital Assets and Blockchain – Financial Transaction and Regulatory Group, Alex works with fintech clients to develop their product offerings and plans, bringing traditional regulatory compliance and transactional structures into the cryptocurrency space in order to develop a more mature and regulated financial market. In addition, Alex is helping to pave the way for both established global financial institutions entering the cryptocurrency market for the first time.
Alex provides extensive regulatory and transactional advice to some of the biggest players in fintech. He has worked with startups to navigate existing regulatory frameworks and develop first-of-their-kind financial products in the cryptocurrency space, including secured lending, derivative products, and interest-bearing account structures. He recently represented a client in the launch of a credit card that offers rewards in bitcoin.
Alex also represents banks, financial institutions, and private investment funds in a variety of commercial and corporate finance transactions, including margin loans and structured equity, asset-based, acquisition, and restructuring transactions. Alex also advises start-ups in a variety of industries, such as digital media and lifestyle brands, including canine chews and clothing and apparel.
Alex was previously an associate at Schulte, Roth and Zabel, LLP, 2006-2010. He serves on the HB REAL Diversity Oversight Committee, which serves as an advisory committee on diversity, equity, and inclusion and oversees the implementation of recommendations to improve the recruitment, retention, and promotion of diverse talent at the firm. His spirit of dedication and commitment to teamwork were enhanced as a four-year varsity letterman in college lacrosse, and he currently coaches the lacrosse teams of his 10- and 8-year-old sons.
- Selected for inclusion in New York Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, 2013-2017
- A commercial finance company in margin loan agreements in excess of $1.25 billion to hedge funds and insurance companies.
- A commercial finance company in lending facilities in excess of $500 million to investment companies organized under the Investment Company Act of 1940 secured by the companies’ assets held in custodial accounts.
- A domestic real estate company, as borrower, in a $585 million syndicated senior secured credit facility the proceeds of which were used to finance the acquisition of a mid-Atlantic REIT.
- An in-store digital entertainment provider in the formation and capitalization of a joint venture with a global advertising sales leader, the proceeds of which were used to double the company’s footprint.
- Represent lenders and borrowers in the workouts and restructuring of loans to prime brokers, Jones Act shipping companies, radio station groups, and manufacturing companies.
J.D., Benjamin Cardozo Law School, 2006, cum laude; Order of the Coif
A.B., History, Dartmouth College, 2001
A Haynes and Boone, LLP legal team advised BlockFi in the rollout of its industry-first crypto rewards credit card. The BlockFi Rewards Visa® Signature Card will pay cardholders rewards in Bitcoin on every purchase they make. The demand for such a product has been strong and the credit card program had amassed a waitlist of nearly 400,000 people. “Our new credit card is going to be a major disr [...]