Tania Khatibifar is an associate in the Real Estate Practice Group in the New York office.
Tania’s practice focuses on a broad range of commercial real estate transactions, including sales and acquisitions, financings (both borrower and lender-side representation), preferred equity investments, joint ventures, ground leases, and restructurings. She regularly represents publicly-traded REITs, closely-held real estate companies, private equity funds, local developers, and individuals in projects across the country. Tania also has experience with commercial real estate capital markets transactions and has represented banks and non-bank financial institutions as issuers, loan sellers, underwriters, and investors in connection with public and private offerings of commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS). With her breadth of experience, Tania understands the concerns of all stakeholders in a given transaction, which helps her advocate effectively on behalf of her clients while establishing credibility with others at the table.
Tania was honored with the “Outstanding Young Lawyer Award” by the New York State Bar Association in 2023. She was also recognized as a New York Metro Super Lawyers Rising Star by Thomson Reuters from 2022-2023.
Tania maintains an active pro bono practice, and has successfully obtained asylum for clients fleeing from persecution, including a Garifuna family in deportation proceedings that endured years of persecution in Honduras.
Selected Publications and Speeches
- Note, The Need for a Patent-Centric Standard of Antitrust Review to Evaluate Reverse Payment Settlements, 23 FORDHAM INTELL. PROP. MEDIA & ENT. L.J. 1351 (2013).
- Over $200 million total invested in numerous preferred equity investment transactions in multifamily properties nationwide.
- $100 million sale of a multifamily residential development located in the Midwest.
- $100 million senior mortgage loan acquisition financing of a residential condominium development located near Chicago.
- $92 million construction and mezzanine loan restructuring of a retail and office property located in Times Square in New York City.
- $35 million senior mortgage refinancing of an office and industrial park located in California.
- $30 million sale of a ground lease interest in retail property located in downtown Manhattan, New York City.
J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 2014, cum laude
B.B.A., George Washington University, 2010, magna cum laude
A Honduran mother and her three children faced threats of violence and discrimination in their home country and needed help winning asylum in New York. A domestic violence shelter in Utah was trying to expand its reach and serve hundreds of additional families. Throughout 2023, Haynes and Boone, LLP attorneys volunteered more than 15,000 hours towards causes like these as part of its robust pro bo [...]