Bill Kleinman focuses on strategic M&A, private equity, securities, corporate and technology law. His experience includes mergers and acquisitions, carve-outs and divestitures, roll-ups, strategic alliances and collaborative transactions, corporate governance, capital formation (equity and debt), and technology/commercial contracting. His focus on finding reasonable solutions to gating issues gets deals done. Bill is also a member of the ABA's Task Force on Legal Project Management. He assists general counsel and corporations that have robust legal needs by coordinating service delivery, project management and budgeting across all sections of the firm.
Bill was recognized in Chambers USA, Chambers and Partners, for Technology: Corporate & Commercial (Texas), 2019-2023. Bill led the Haynes and Boone deal team that was selected as the “Energy M&A Deal of the Year” (middle market) at the Global M&A Network, Americas 2019, and the “U.S.A. M&A Deal of the Year” award at the Global M&A Network, Americas Awards 2018. Bill was recognized as a leader in Corporate, Lexology Client Choice Awards, Lexology, 2022. Bill is AV Peer Review Rated Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory. He was recognized by The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., for Corporate Law and Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2016-2024, recognized in D Magazine's "Best Lawyers in Dallas," D Magazine Partners, 2021, was recognized as a Standout Lawyer, Thomson Reuters, 2018-2023, and won the Client Choice Award for General Corporate in Texas, Globe Business Publishing Ltd., 2016.
Bill graduated as a chemical engineer, and he has a broad understanding of the science and technology that drive today's most innovative companies. He helps companies implement technology intensive business strategies and transactions, and turn their technology advantage into competitive advantage.
- Represented a private equity-backed international manufacturer in its acquisition of a U.S. operation focused on oilfield equipment, in order to enter the U.S. market.
- Represented companies in industries such as telecommunications hardware, enterprise software, wireless PCS and international distribution in IPOs, public offerings of equity and debt and 144A transactions.
- Represented buyers and sellers of companies in industries such as technology, software, service, and industrial products in mergers, stock and asset acquisitions, auctions, private equity and ESOP transactions.
- Represented publicly traded companies in connection with corporate governance matters, defensive measures and SEC reporting and compliance.
- Represented industrial and service companies in connection with the formation of domestic and international joint ventures and strategic partnerships.
- Represented start-up companies and their investors in segments such as VOIP, network processors, semiconductors, outsourcing and internet media in seed and venture capital fundings, stock option plans, stockholder agreements and strategic agreements.
- American Bar Association Task Force for Legal Project Management, (Business Law Section, Committee on Mergers and Acquisitions, Committee on the Regulation of Securities)
- Steering Committee, Association for Excellence in Corporate Development
- Board of Directors, Metroplex Technology Business Counsel, 2006-2018
- Steering Committee, General Counsel Netweavers
- Partner, CEO Netweavers
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Corporate Practices Committee & Public Company Affairs Committee, Society of Corporate Secretaries & Governance Professionals, 2008-2010
- Board of Directors, Texas General Counsel Forum, 2008-2009
- Development Board, University of Texas at Dallas, 2006-2012
- Co-Chair, Best Practices Program, Corporate Compliance Center, 2004-2007
- College of the State Bar of Texas, 2005-2006
- Recognized in Chambers USA, Chambers and Partners, for Technology: Corporate & Commercial (Texas), 2019-2023.
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., for Corporate Law and Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2016-2023.
- Recognized as a Standout Lawyer, Thomson Reuters, 2018-2023.
- D Magazine's "Best Lawyers in Dallas," D Magazine Partners, 2021.
- AV® Peer Review Rated Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell® Law Directory.
- “M&A in the Time of COVID: Diligence, Valuations, Earnouts, MACs, PPP Loans, and Rep & Warranty Insurance,” speaker, GC Netweavers, October 20, 2020.
- “How to Put Together an OFS Strategic Alliance for Technology Development,” speaker, Haynes and Boone Oilfield Services Seminar Series, October 5, 2017.
- "How to Apply Legal Project Management to Deals," presenter, Deal Lawyers.com, July 19, 2016.
- "Faster-?Better-?Cheaper Through Legal Project Management: The LACI Chart," author, Bloomberg BNA, June 21, 2016.
- "Keeping Everyone on Track: Using Communication Plans and Task Assignments," speaker, Practising Law Institute's Project Management for Lawyers, January 21, 2016.
- "Using Team-Wide LACI Charts in M&A Transactions," author, chapter in Project Management for Lawyers 2016 Coursebook, 2016.
- "Challenges of Strategic Transactions," speaker, Association for Excellence in Corporate Development, September 20, 2012; June 4, 2013.
- "Strategic Partnerships in the Cloud," author, white paper, April 19, 2012.
- "Integration between In-House and Outside Counsel," author, GC Netweavers, February 2012.
J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, 1983, Associate Editor, Texas Law Review
B.S., Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1979
Six Haynes and Boone, LLP partners are recognized as leaders in their practice areas in the 2022 Lexology Client Choice Awards: Purvi Patel Albers - Trademarks David Bell - Trademarks Matthew Deffebach - Employment Patrick Hughes - Restructuring Bill Kleinman - Corporate Matthew Schindel - Real Estate Lexology distributes international legal updates, analysis and insights to in-house counsel wor [...]