Javier Martinez is a partner in the Finance Practice Group in the San Antonio office of Haynes Boone. His primary focus is in representing lenders and some borrowers in secured transactions at all stages of the deal, from negotiating term sheets to booking loans to various forms of workouts including preparing for structured bankruptcies. Javier routinely represents clients in syndicated commodities finance transactions, other traditional asset based loans, and other loans with unique collateral issues like media loans and subscription lines for funds. He also has extensive experience in complex commodities swap and hedging intercreditor issues faced by senior lenders and cross-border transactions with an emphasis on Latin America, having represented clients in both multi-jurisdictional loan and merger transactions.
- Represented agent in $2.5 billion multicurrency syndicated subscription line loan.
- Represented agent in $500 million multicurrency syndicated subscription line loan with secured hedging availability.
- Represented agent in $1 billion syndicated loan secured by commodities related collateral.
- Represented agent in $700 million syndicated loan secured by commodities collateral in the U.S., Latin America and Europe.
- Represented Ecuadorian clients in four-party merger with U.S.-based agricultural companies structured through holding companies in Bermuda, Panama and Ecuador.
- Represented an investment fund borrower in $150 million loan facility secured by collateral in seven different countries.
- Represented domestic lender in booking and working out real estate and hotel development loans in Costa Rica.
- Assisted in coordinating $300 million international loan fraud case for a foreign sovereign.
- Represented multi-billion dollar investment fund in collateralizing its subscription-based credit facility.
- Represented a $5 billion investment fund in connection with closing of its subscription line.
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
- Antient and Honorable Edmund Burke Society
- Recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in Dallas by D Magazine, D Magazine Partners, for Banking and Finance, 2016-2017, 2019-2023
- Texas Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition, Thomson Reuters, 2007-2011
- “Rated Note Feeders: Issues Facing Subscription Line Lenders,” co-author, LexisNexis Practical Guidance, December 20, 2022.
J.D., University of Chicago Law School, 2001
B.A., Texas A&M University, 1997, cum laude, University Honors, Foundation Honors
D Magazine has once again ranked many Haynes and Boone, LLP lawyers, across most major practice areas, among the best lawyers in Dallas. A total of 27 lawyers were included in the 2023 Best Lawyers in Dallas directory. They were nominated by their peers for offering “unparalleled counsel” in their practice area and “representing the people and institutions of Dallas with mastery and drive,” accord [...]