Javier Martinez is a partner in the Finance Practice Group in the San Antonio office of Haynes and Boone. His primary focus is in representing lenders and some borrowers in secured transactions at all stages of the deal, from negotiating term sheets to booking loans to various forms of workouts including preparing for structured bankruptcies. Javier routinely represents clients in syndicated commodities finance transactions, other traditional asset based loans, and other loans with unique collateral issues like media loans and subscription lines for funds. He also has extensive experience in complex commodities swap and hedging intercreditor issues faced by senior lendors and cross-border transactions with an emphasis on Latin America, having represented clients in both multi-jurisdictional loan and merger transactions.
- Recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in Dallas by D Magazine, D Magazine Partners, for Banking and Finance, 2016-2017, 2019-2021
- Texas Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition, Thomson Reuters, 2007-2011
Professional and Community Activities
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
- Antient and Honorable Edmund Burke Society
- Represented agent in $2.5 billion multicurrency syndicated subscription line loan.
- Represented agent in $500 million multicurrency syndicated subscription line loan with secured hedging availability.
- Represented agent in $1 billion syndicated loan secured by commodities related collateral.
- Represented agent in $700 million syndicated loan secured by commodities collateral in the U.S., Latin America and Europe.
- Represented Ecuadorian clients in four-party merger with U.S.-based agricultural companies structured through holding companies in Bermuda, Panama and Ecuador.
- Represented an investment fund borrower in $150 million loan facility secured by collateral in seven different countries.
- Represented domestic lender in booking and working out real estate and hotel development loans in Costa Rica.
- Assisted in coordinating $300 million international loan fraud case for a foreign sovereign.
- Represented multi-billion dollar investment fund in collateralizing its subscription-based credit facility.
- Represented a $5 billion investment fund in connection with closing of its subscription line.
B.A., Texas A&M University, 1997, cum laude, University Honors, Foundation Honors
J.D., University of Chicago Law School, 2001
D Magazine featured 27 Haynes and Boone, LLP lawyers across multiple practice areas in its 2021 Best Lawyers in Dallas listing. Lawyers in the directory are nominated by their peers for their unparalleled counsel. They represent the people and institutions of Dallas with mastery and drive, according to D Magazine. A select panel of lawyers evaluates the nominations to finalize the list. The follow [...]