Tim Newman is a litigator with experience in white collar defense, internal investigations, complex litigation, and cybersecurity. He has spent most of his career helping clients stay out of trouble with government agencies. Tim prides himself on being proactive, working closely with his clients, and leveraging technology to maximize the value of his work.
Clients rely on Tim’s experience, diligence, and steady hand to guide them through some of their biggest challenges. Recent examples include:
- Recovering more than $7 million in losses a specialty retailer suffered following a payment card data breach by investigating the attack, managing disclosures, fighting off a card processor’s attempts to wrongfully collect card brand liability assessments, and maximizing coverage under relevant insurance policies.
- Helping an auditing company restore operations, make disclosures, and avoid regulatory scrutiny following a sophisticated ransomware attack.
- Helping a public company CEO avoid charges by the Securities and Exchange Commission that he misled investors about the company’s credit portfolio and associated risk.
- Helping an investment fund avoid charges by the Texas State Securities Board that it misused investor money.
- Reducing a staffing agency’s regulatory risk by investigating and remediating a newly acquired subsidiary’s immigration compliance practices.
- Ensuring a diagnostic imaging center could maintain operations by resolving Department of Justice claims that the center failed to ensure proper supervision of certain procedures.
- Saving a pharmaceutical company enormous litigation costs by persuading class action plaintiffs to drop the company from a lawsuit alleging price fixing.
Tim is passionate about service and is consistently recognized for his leadership. He currently serves on the Dallas Bar Association Board of Directors. He received the Jo Anna Moreland Outstanding Committee Chair Award from the Dallas Bar Association in 2021 and the Kirk Watson Excellence in Leadership Award from the Texas Young Lawyers Association in 2020. He has also been selected as a Leading Dallas-Area Professional ‘20 Under 40’ by People Newspapers, D Magazine Partners, recognized in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, and recognized in D Magazine’s “Best Lawyers Under 40” list.
- Dallas Bar Association
- Board of Directors (Present)
- Co-Chair of the Morris Harrell Professionalism Committee
- Chair of the Bench Bar Committee (Present)
- Vice Chair of Science & Technology Law Section (Present)
- Chair of Capital for Kids CONNECT Board (Present)
- UT Law CLE’s Annual Corporate Counsel Institute, Planning Committee (Present)
- Co-Chair of UT Law CLE’s Essential Cybersecurity Law Conference Planning Committee (Present)
- President of the Texas Aggie Bar Association
- Texas Young Lawyers Association Director, Treasurer
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers Director, Judiciary Committee Co-Chair, 2012 Leadership Class
- American Bar Foundation Fellow
- Texas Bar Foundation Fellow
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers Foundation Fellow
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., for Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2024
- Recognized by D Magazine, D Magazine Partners, "Best Lawyers in Dallas" in Securities Litigation and Enforcement, 2023
- Featured in D Magazine’s “Best Lawyers Under 40” directory, D Magazine Partners, 2021
- Selected Among Leading Dallas-Area Professionals ‘Under 40’ by People Newspapers, D Magazine Partners, 2019
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, 2016-2019
- Jo Anna Moreland Outstanding Committee Chair Award, Dallas Bar Association, 2021
- Senator Kirk Watson Excellence in Leadership Award, Texas Young Lawyers Association, 2020
- President’s Award, Texas Young Lawyers Association, 2019
- Outstanding Director, Texas Young Lawyers Association, 2018
- Outstanding First-Year Director, Texas Young Lawyers Association, 2017
- Outstanding Committee Chair, Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, 2016
- "What to do about business-related text and WhatsApp messages," co-author, Compliance Cosmos, October 2023.
- “Mind the Gap,” presenter, SMU Corporate Counsel Symposium, September 22, 2023.
- "Crisis Management: Recalls and Beyond," presenter, FMI Legal Regulatory & Compliance Conference, July 17, 2023.
- "Mandates Beyond the Advisers Act: Data Protection: Privacy, Identity Theft and Cybersecurity," instructor, IACCP Program Symposium, July 11, 2023.
- “FTC’S First Health Breach Notification Rule Enforcement Action Includes $1.5 Million Penalty Against Digital Health Platform,” co-author, AHLA, March 14, 2023.
- “Managing the Complexities of eDiscovery in Modern Investigations to Uncover the Truth,” co-panelist, The Master’s Conference, Dallas, March 7, 2023.
- "Investigative Triggers and Internal Investigations," panelist, The University of Texas Law School 44th Annual Corporate Counsel Institute, April 28, 2022.
- "Gone Phishing: Don’t Let the Big Claim Get Away From You," panelist, Texas Insurance Academy, April 21, 2022.
- "A Look at the SEC’s Last Decade of Cybersecurity Enforcement Efforts, Part II: Focus on Registered Entities," American Bar Association, February 15, 2022.
- "A Look at the SEC’s Last Decade of Cybersecurity Enforcement Efforts, Part I: Focus on Public Companies," American Bar Association, January 7, 2022.
- "Updates on SEC Enforcement Priorities for Corporate Directors," co-presenter, NACD North Texas Chapter Expert Series, December 1, 2021.
- “SEC Enforcement Update,” speaker, Coffee, Tea and the SEC: Trends and Updates webinar, November 17, 2021.
- “A Look at Changing Securities Enforcement Priorities,” presenter, SMU Corporate Counsel Symposium, October 22, 2021.
- “Emerging Issues in Data Privacy and Protection,” moderator, The University of Texas Law School Government Enforcement Institute, October 1, 2021.
- “The Legal Implications Of A Different Kind Of Return To Work,” presenter, The Institute for Law and Technology- Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Law Conference, September, 23, 2021.
- "In-House Counsel Panel," moderator, The University of Texas Law School 2021 Essential Cybersecurity Law Conference, July 21, 2021.
- "Ransomware Response and Recovery Efforts," panelist, The University of Texas Law School 2021 Essential Cybersecurity Law Conference, July 21, 2021.
- “Risky Business: Not Just an 80’s Cult Classic - Identifying, Assessing, and Managing Your Business Risks,” co-presenter, Collin County Bar Association, Corporate Counsel Section Meeting, July 8, 2021.
- “Risky Business: Not Just an 80’s Cult Classic—Identifying, Assessing and Managing Your Business Risks,” co-presenter, 2020 SMU Corporate Counsel Symposium, October 15, 2020.
- “SEC Enforcement Update,” speaker, Coffee, Tea and the SEC: Trends and Updates Breakfast, November 19, 2019.
- “We Got Hacked! Helping Your Clients Prepare for and Respond to a Cyber Incident,” speaker, TexasBarCLE’s Annual Advanced Business Law Course, November 7, 2019.
- “Cyber Attacks: How Are You Protecting Your Business?” panelist, FEI Energy Special Interest Group’s Dallas CFO Series, October 24, 2019.
- “Solving Cybersecurity: How to Help Your Client Navigate the Minefield,” panelist, Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, August 14, 2019.
- “Cybersecurity Disclosures: Guidance for Public Companies,” speaker, Haynes and Boone, LLP webinar, May 20, 2019.
- “The Weapons of Cyber War,” moderator, Today’s General Counsel Institute Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Conference, November 14, 2018.
- “Cyber Fraud and Your Liability,” co-panelist, Dallas and Fort Worth Cybersecurity Events, October 3-4, 2018.
- “Litigation Risks Facing Investment Advisers,” co-panelist, DFW Financial Services Counsel Roundtable, September 12, 2018.
- “New SEC Guidance on Cybersecurity Disclosures: Risks, Incidents, Materiality, Data Governance Procedures,” presenter, Strafford live webinar, June 12, 2018.
- “Incident Response and Breach Disclosure,” panel moderator, The University of Texas Law School 2017 Essential Cybersecurity Law Conference, July 28, 2017.
- “The SEC’s New Guidance Regarding the Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures,” presented to the Dallas Bar Association Securities Section, March 27, 2017.
- “Cyber Liability: Protecting Records and Financial Information,” presented to the University of Texas School of Law Mortgage Lending Institute, October 20, 2016.
- “Issues in Cybersecurity and Healthcare,” presented at the Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law Cybersecurity Symposium, October 23, 2015.
- “Privilege Pitfalls,” moderator, presented at the Dallas Association of Young Lawyers Dinner with the Judiciary, October 20, 2015.
- “SEC Enforcement Outlook 2015,” presented to the Dallas Bar Association Securities Section, April 27, 2015.
- “Practical Steps to Reduce Cyber Risk," presented at the Texas Bar Association Asian Pacific Interest Section Annual Conference, April 18, 2015.
- “Cyber Investigation Case Study,” presented at the Institute of Internal Auditor’s 10th Annual Fraud Summit, March 26, 2015.
- “A Focus on Cybersecurity Litigation Risks and Liabilities,” presented to the General Counsel Forum, November 6, 2014.
- “Understanding Cyber Risks,” presented at the Texas Aggie Bar Association Annual Conference, March 1, 2014.
- “Cyber Incidents,” presented at the Arthur J. Gallagher & Company Privacy and Cyber Liability Seminar, October 9, 2013.
- “Protecting Critical Business Data,” presented to The STAR Alliance, September 10, 2013.
- “The Antitrust Implications of Health Care Reform,” co-author with Bill Morrison, ABA Antitrust Section Joint Conduct Committee E-Bulletin, Spring 2012.
J.D., William & Mary Law School, 2009, Editor in Chief, William & Mary Bill of Rights Journal
B.A., History, Texas A&M University, 2006, Texas Aggie Corps of Cadets, 2001-2005
Law Clerk, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas, 2009-2010
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
Haynes and Boone, LLP lawyers Kurt Gottschall, Timothy Newman, and Payton Roberts authored an article in Compliance Cosmos on implementing corporate compliance programs regarding text and WhatsApp messages. Read an excerpt below: Over the past year, US financial regulators have announced game-changing enforcement cases and corporate cooperation guidelines to prompt businesses to retain, review, an [...]