Conrad Purcell is a partner in the Energy Practice Group in Haynes Boone’s London office.
Conrad’s practice focuses primarily on energy and infrastructure projects. He advises funders, sponsors and governments in the financing, development, acquisition and disposal of energy and infrastructure projects. He was recognized in The Legal 500, Legalease Ltd., 2021, with the following testimonial: "Conrad Purcell has impressed us with his professionalism, expertise and efficiency. He always delivers the best solution on time. We definitely would like to continue having Conrad for our future projects.”
Conrad has experience in structuring, drafting and negotiating finance and security documents, as well as commercial agreements such as construction, operation, maintenance and management contracts, joint venture and shareholder agreements, and power purchase, tolling and offtake agreements.
Conrad advises on a wide range of funding structures including project finance from commercial banks, DFIs/MDBs, as well as ECA supported lending, vendor finance, mezzanine and other structured finance, private placements and a variety of institutional and retail bond issues.
Conrad has experience advising on projects utilising a broad range of new energy technologies including wind, solar PV and CSP, hydroelectric, biomass, tidal and energy storage, in established and emerging markets. In recent years, he has also advised on conventional thermal power projects and energy infrastructure, as well as on projects in health, housing, communications, transport and digital infrastructure.
Having worked as an in-house lawyer for a number of years, as well as in private practice, Conrad has a good understanding of the commercial positions that need to be reconciled for projects to successfully reach completion. He uses this experience to help parties achieve consensus during what can be long and complex negotiations, especially where projects are being developed in markets with few comparable or similar examples.
- UK battery storage – advising developer Still Waters Green Technology in connection with the acquisition, development and project financing of a 70MW (35MW – 2hr) battery storage project in Swindon, England with senior debt being provided by Santander.
- Macquarie Bank - advising on all aspects of the HoldCo financing and security package for two operating Spanish wind farm projects with a combined capacity of 93.6MW owned by Foresight Group.
- UK rooftop solar – advising a developer in connection with the installation of rooftop solar panels across a number of supermarkets in conjunction with a third party funder.
- Canaccord Genuity - advising in connection with the c. C$18m bond issue by a UK biosciences company listed on the Toronto stock exchange.
- Advising the Government of Cameroon, in its capacity as a shareholder in the Nachtigal Hydro Power Company, on the €1.2bn financing of the 420MW Nachtigal hydropower project.
- UK hydro – advising facility agent and security trustee on finance documents in connection with a c. £43m private placement to Aberdeen Standard Investments to finance six operational hydro-electric schemes in the Scottish Highlands.
- Advising a development finance institution in connection with all aspects of an innovative form of re-guarantee facility, worth USD 74m, to provide liquidity support to regional banks across Africa.
- UK solar – advising the Pension Infrastructure Platform on the refinancing of a portfolio of operating solar PV assets by way of a private placement bond issue to Standard Life and HSBC Bank Pension Trust.
- UK solar – advising the senior lenders in relation to the refinancing of a UK ground mounted solar PV installation owned by a community interest company and partly funded by way of a retail bond issue.
- Kenyan solar PV – advising two IPPs in connection with the negotiation and drafting of power purchase agreements for a solar PV project and a hydro-power project in Kenya with Kenya Power (KPLC).
- Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village – advising sponsors (Gigawatt Global, Norfund and Scatec Solar) in relation to the project financing of solar PV project in Rwanda.
- UK off-shore wind - advising sponsors in relation to sell down of a portion of equity, and restructuring of intra-group funding arrangements, for an operating UK off-shore wind farm.
- Rudine wind farm - advising developer RP Global on all aspects of finance documents in relation to 34MW onshore wind farm in Croatia funded by IFC and UniCredit Bank.
- South African Renewable Energy IPP Programme Round 3 Projects - advising Enel Green Power S.p.A. on drafting and negotiation of EPC contracts and O&M contracts for two on-shore wind farms with a combined capex of c. €300m.
- Biomass - advising sponsor on structuring, FEED and EPC contract procurement of a 100MW biomass power project, as well as O&M and LTSA contracts.
- Recognized in The Legal 500 UK, Legalease, in Project Finance, 2018-2019 and 2023
Master's Degree, Cambridge University, 2006
B.S.C. (Hons), London South Bank University, 1999
England and Wales
Haynes Boone London Partner Conrad Purcell has contributed to the First Edition of the Legal 500: Project Finance Comparative Guide published by Legalease. Their chapter addresses the key project finance laws and regulations applicable in the United Kingdom. Click on the PDF below to read. Project Finance in the United Kingdom The Legal 500’s Country Comparative Guides are produced in association [...]