Jorge Sanchez has more than 20 years of experience advising foreign and domestic clients many of which are Fortune 500 companies in a wide range of corporate and financial matters, including equity, asset financing and leasing transactions, structured and commodity finance, public procurement, M&A, joint ventures, antitrust, mining and natural resources.
In the area of mining, Jorge is acknowledged for handling multi-jurisdictional mining transactions involving complex takeovers, acquisitions, disposals, project financings, mining deals with distressed situations, debt refinancings, initial exploration and claim staking, joint ventures, operations and closures, regulatory and compliance issues, and community issues. His experience covers practically the entire spectrum of mining ventures, from precious and base metals to industrial minerals and trading of coal.
Jorge is a regular speaker at various international fora and has been recognized by Chambers Global, Chambers & Partners, 2014 and 2016-2018; Chambers Latin America, Chambers & Partners, 2011-2014, 2016-2018; The International Who’s Who, Law Business Research Ltd., Mining and Project Finance, 2015, Government Contracts, 2017; and Latin Lawyer 250, Law Business Research Ltd., 2016.
Jorge has been a lecturer at various leading institutions and is an active member of several professional and industrial organizations such as the International Bar Association (‘IBA’), the Mexican Mining Chamber (‘CAMIMEX’), the Mining Task Force at the Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Mexico, and Chairs the Mining Committee of the Australia, New Zealand Mexico Business Council (‘ANZMEX’) of which he was President (2004-2011).
- Represented a global trading company in the secured financing of a Mexican subsidiary of a Canadian mining group for the production of zinc and lead concentrates to be sold and exported to said global company.
- Represented a global trading company in the increase of a credit facility for up to US$500 million for the financing of its purchases of metal concentrates (copper, zinc, lead, gold and silver concentrates), iron ore, refined and scrap metals from third party Mexican suppliers.
- Represented a Mexican subsidiary of a Canadian TSX listed company and its Mexican subsidiary in the negotiation and implementation of the acquisition of 55 percent undivided interest in a group of large gold and silver mining concessions. Deal value of US$87 million.
- Represented a global company in the negotiations and execution of a contract with CFE for the purchase of ashes (2,300 tons) and slags (7,100 tons) that are residual materials generated in the thermoelectric plants of the CFE as a result of the coal-based process to produce electricity.
- Represented an investment company in a proposed acquisition of two Mexican subsidiaries of a Canadian mining group. Deal value of US$80 million.
- Represented an international furniture company in the direct acquisition by an investment fund of an important furniture production facility in southern Mexico.
- Represented a global company in the increase of a credit facility for up to US$350 million for the financing of its purchases of metal concentrates (copper, zinc, lead, gold and silver concentrates), iron ore, refined and scrap metals from third party Mexican suppliers.
- Represented a global midstream and downstream energy company in its proposed acquisition of a port facility in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Represented one of the most important packaging companies in: (i) the Americas in the negotiation and execution of a US$40 million loan; and (ii) in a syndicated loan facility arranged by Citigroup Global Markets, Inc., and J.P. Morgan Securities, LLC. Deal value of USD$80 million.
- Represented a global company in mining, commodities trading, real estate development and energy projects in the structuring, financing and development of one of the largest iron ore projects in Michoacan, Mexico.
- Represented a consortium formed by an investment fund and a manufacturer of base load power plants and renewable energy facilities in the development of one such facility in Western Mexico.
- Represented a global company in the foreclosure of an industrial mortgage involving several mining concessions located in Sonora. Deal value of US$23 million.
- Represented the Mexican subsidiary of a TSX listed company in the regulatory and corporate issues for the development of a mining project, located in Southeast Mexico, including advice in the creation of a residual water plant.
- Represented a European bank and a global company in the structured and secured lending for the financing of different mining projects in Mexico for the exploration, exploitation and distribution of metallic and non-metallic mineral concentrates. Deal value of US$200 million.
- Represented a real estate division of an international company in the acquisition of assets from a Mexican warehousing company in order to establish its own warehousing division in Mexico.
- Several international financial services entities on financial, regulatory and material liability aspects related to the trading of metals, coal and other commodities in Mexico.
- Provided specific advice to a leading Spanish energy firm in connection with the assignment of an energy project between an international banking institution and CFE deriving from a bidding procedure for financed public works at the nuclear plant in the State of Veracruz, Mexico (Laguna Verde). Deal value of US$680 million.
- Represented a Japanese group in relation to an investment in the industrial Port of Altamira.
- Represented a global company in a major financing for the construction and exploitation of a copper processing plant in Mexico.
- Represented a UK privately owned hedge fund sponsor in its negotiations for the proposed acquisition of a 6th generation ultra-deep-water semi-submersible drilling rig by a fund sponsor.
- Represented a global company in its successful participation in an international open public bidding procedure called by Comisión Federal de Electricidad to acquire mineral thermal coal. Deal value of MXN 116 million.
- Represented a global company in a major financing for the exploration and exploitation of a zinc and lead mining concession.
- Represented a mining company in an agreement for the long-term exploration and exploitation an ongoing iron mining concern in western Mexico. Deal value of US$30 million.
- Represented a worldwide organization through its marine division in the financing of the construction of two vessels in a Mexican shipyard.
- Acted for a financing entity in connection with a credit facility to finance the exploitation of an ongoing lead and zinc mining concern in Northwestern Mexico. Deal value of US$200,000.
- Australia and New Zealand business Council (ANZMEX) International Bar Association
- Vice president of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce and member of its Legislative Committee
- National Association of Corporate Attorneys (Asociación Nacional de Abogados de Empresa, A.C.)
- Mexican Bar Association (Barra Mexicana - Colegio de Abogados, A.C.)
- Mexican Chamber of Commerce (CANACO)
- Mexican Institute of Mediation (Instituto Mexicano de la Mediación, A.C.)
- Mexican Mining Chamber (Cámara Minera de México)
- Mining Task Force - Canadian Chamber of Commerce
- Recognized in Latin Lawyer 250, Law Business Research Ltd., 2016
- Recognized in Best Lawyers Mexico, Woodward/White, Inc., for Banking and Finance Law, 2016 and 2019
- Noted by Who’s Who Legal Mexico, Law Business Research Ltd., as a leading practitioner in the areas of Mining and Project Finance, 2015, 2020; Government Contracts, 2017
- Chambers Global, Chambers & Partners, Corporate/M&A, 2014 and 2016-2018
- Chambers Latin America, Chambers & Partners, Energy and Natural Resources and Projects (Mexico), 2011-2014, 2018; Corporate/M&A (Mexico), 2011-2014, 2016-2018
- Who's Who Legal, Law Business Research Ltd., Mining, 2014
LL.B., Escuela Libre de Derecho, 1997
Ph.D. Candidate, Universidad Panamericana,
LL.M., University of Warwick, 1998
Eight Haynes and Boone, LLP lawyers have been recognized in the 2020 edition of the Best Lawyers in Mexico directory, an annual referral guide of outstanding lawyers in Mexico that is published by Woodward/White, Inc. Lawyers are selected based on detailed peer-review evaluations by professionals in the same geographical and legal practice area. The following lawyers were recognized in the Best La [...]