Ellie Sowanick is an associate in the Intellectual Property and Social Media Practice Groups in the Dallas office of Haynes and Boone. Her practice focuses on a variety of trademark, patent, copyright, and design patent matters. In trademark, she focuses on brand management, domain name enforcement, and Trademark Trial and Appeal Board disputes. Ellie assists her clients in managing Intellectual Property rights throughout the entirety of a brand’s lifecycle, from clearance to building and procurement through maintenance and enforcement. Ellie also handles internet-related matters, such as domain name cybersquatting and manages Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) proceedings.
Ellie further provides value to her clients through the procurement and prosecution of patents and design patents. She also has experience in freedom-to-operate analyses and invalidity opinions, which enables her to advise clients regarding business and technology-related decisions.
Before joining the firm, Ellie attended the University of Texas School of Law where she was a John L. and Anne Crawford Endowed Presidential Scholar and served on the staff of the Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal. Ellie also holds a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from the Cockrell School of Engineering at the University of Texas.
- Included in the "Ones to Watch" category of Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2021-2022
- AT&T Intellectual Property II and Warner Media, LLC v. Dong Soo Kim, FA1812001821550 (Nat. Arb. Forum Jan. 22, 2019)- Successfully represented AT&T and Warner Media in recovering disputed domain names warner-media.net, att-media.com, att-warner.com, attmediagroup.com, attwarner.net, attwarnermedia.com, warnermedia.company, warnermedia.biz
- DIRECTV, LLC v. Michal Restl, FA1805001788826 (Nat. Arb. Forum July 5, 2018)- Successfully represented DIRECTV in recovering disputed domain name directvgo.com
- Southern Marsh Collection, L.L.C. v. ICS Inc., FA1703001720503 (Nat. Arb. Forum April 21, 2017)- Successfully represented Southern Marsh Collection clothing company in recovering disputed domain name southermarsh.com
- International Trademark Association, Academic Committee Member since 2017; Co-Chair Student Membership Subcommittee
- State Bar of Texas, Intellectual Property Section
- Dallas Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- Texas Exes Life Member
- "U.S. Supreme Court Hears First Ever Teleconference Oral Arguments in USPTO v. Booking.com B.V. Trademark Case," co-author, Haynes and Boone client alert, May 6, 2020.
- “Business and Trademarks: Tips for In-House Personnel,” speaker, Copart, Inc. Global Headquarters, Dallas, TX, June 19, 2018.
- "The Design Patent Train Hits a Cow," co-author, Haynes and Boone client alert, December 2016.
- "SMU Annual Texas Survey," co-author, Intellectual Property Chapter, 2016-2017.
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 2011, with honors
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, 2015, with honors; Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Seventy-five Haynes and Boone, LLP lawyers are included in the 2022 Best Lawyers “Ones to Watch” directory this month. The Ones to Watch distinction is given to attorneys early in their careers in recognition of their outstanding professional excellence in private practice in the U.S. Nominated by peers in the industry, Ones to Watch recipients have been in practice for five to nine years. The fol [...]