Ellie Sowanick is an associate in the Trademark and Advertising Practice Group located in the Orange County office of Haynes Boone. As a creative counselor with an eye to global brand development, Ellie’s practice focuses on a variety of trademark, patent, copyright, and design patent matters. Her trademark practice focuses on brand management and managing and resolving complex and multi-juristictional trademark and domain disputes, including before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB). She assists her clients in managing Intellectual Property rights throughout the entirety of a brand’s lifecycle, from clearance to building and procurement of rights through maintenance and enforcement with extensive experience in product and company rebranding.
Clients benefit from her holistic counseling approach on product and packaging design conception and development, with consideration of both trade dress and design patent protection options. Not just a counselor, Ellie provides additional value to her clients through the procurement and prosecution of patents and design patents. She also has experience in freedom-to-operate analyses and invalidity opinions, which enables her to advise clients regarding business and technology-related decisions.
- Cleared and managed the rights acquisition and overall worldwide rebranding process for a global specialty materials company.
- Worldwide trademark portfolio management and strategy for a global medical device company.
- AT&T Intellectual Property II and Warner Media, LLC v. Dong Soo Kim, FA1812001821550 (Nat. Arb. Forum Jan. 22, 2019)- Successfully represented AT&T and Warner Media in recovering disputed domain names warner-media.net, att-media.com, att-warner.com, attmediagroup.com, attwarner.net, attwarnermedia.com, warnermedia.company, warnermedia.biz
- DIRECTV, LLC v. Michal Restl, FA1805001788826 (Nat. Arb. Forum July 5, 2018)- Successfully represented DIRECTV in recovering disputed domain name directvgo.com
- Southern Marsh Collection, L.L.C. v. ICS Inc., FA1703001720503 (Nat. Arb. Forum April 21, 2017)- Successfully represented Southern Marsh Collection clothing company in recovering disputed domain name southermarsh.com
- International Trademark Association, Unreal Campaign Committee member (2022-present); Academic Committee Member (2017-2021); Co-Chair Student Membership Subcommittee (2020-2021)
- State Bar of Texas, Intellectual Property Section
- Dallas Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- Texas Exes Life Member
- Included in the "Ones to Watch" category of The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., Patent Law, 2022-2024; Intellectual Property Law, 2021-2024
- "Brand owners should get TM versed in the metaverse," co-author, Reuters, May 18, 2022.
- "U.S. Supreme Court Hears First Ever Teleconference Oral Arguments in USPTO v. Booking.com B.V. Trademark Case," co-author, Haynes and Boone client alert, May 6, 2020.
- “Business and Trademarks: Tips for In-House Personnel,” speaker, Copart, Inc. Global Headquarters, Dallas, TX, June 19, 2018.
- "The Design Patent Train Hits a Cow," co-author, Haynes and Boone client alert, December 2016.
- "SMU Annual Texas Survey," co-author, Intellectual Property Chapter, 2016-2017.
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, 2011, with honors
J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, 2015, with honors; Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Haynes and Boone, LLP served as Intellectual Property counsel to Orthofix in connection with its merger with SeaSpine, a combination that will create a leading global spine and orthopedics company. The merger of equals was announced in October and is expected to close in the first quarter of 2023. Orthofix is a global medical device company with a spine and orthopedics focus, and SeaSpine is a [...]