David Taubenfeld represents policyholders in every kind of dispute they may have with their insurers. He finds coverage where others may not look, and he attempts to secure coverage for his clients through negotiation and diplomacy before litigation becomes necessary. When litigation becomes necessary, he litigates aggressively, always with the goal of securing coverage for his clients quickly and economically. He has secured millions of dollars in coverage for his clients through negotiation and litigation.
David represents corporate and individual insureds in coverage and bad-faith lawsuits and arbitrations against insurance carriers under Directors' and Officers' Liability, First Party Property/Business Interruption, Errors and Omissions, Professional Liability, General Liability, Fidelity Surety Bonds, Performance and Payment, Primary, Excess, and Umbrella insurance policies.
David also litigates construction matters for architects, engineers, contractors and owners. He litigates both the construction disputes themselves and any insurance coverage matters related to his construction work.
David is AV® Peer Review Rated Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell® Law Directory. David was included in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., for Insurance Law, 2013-2024, for Litigation - Construction, 2021-2024, and recognized in D Magazine's "Best Lawyers in Dallas," D Magazine Partners, 2018 and 2020. David was also named "Appellate Lawyer of the Week" by Texas Lawyer, ALM Media Properties, LLC, December 2, 2013.
- American Bar Association
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- Texas Bar Foundation
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- RIMS (Associate Member)
- AV® Peer Review Rated Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell® Law Directory.
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., for Insurance Law, 2013-2024, for Litigation - Construction, 2021-2024
- Recognized in D Magazine's "Best Lawyers in Dallas," D Magazine Partners, 2018 and 2020
- Named "Appellate Lawyer of the Week" by Texas Lawyer, ALM Media Properties, LLC, December 2, 2013
- "The Corporate Representative Deposition: Preparation, Privilege, and Practice Tips," co-author, May 17, 2023.
- “Going Beyond the Four Corners of RWI: Other Products Related to M&A Deals,” speaker, American Conference Institute’s M&A, RWI and Transactional Risk Insurance conference, New York, October 10, 2019.
- “Close the Deal: Think Insurance! How M&A Insurance Can Get You Over the Risk Hurdle,” speaker, TexasBarCLE Advanced In-House Counsel, San Antonio, August 8, 2019.
- “Representation and Warranty Insurance in Connection with M&A Transactions,” speaker, 16th Annual Advanced Business Law Course - TexasBar CLE, Dallas, November 8, 2018.
- “What Policyholders Expect from Transactional Coverage in Today’s Market,” co-panelist, M&A, RWI and Transactional Risk Insurance Conference - American Conference Institute, New York, October 10, 2018.
- “Structuring Construction Contract Insurance, Indemnification and Limitations on Liability Clauses,” speaker, Strafford webinar, August 9, 2018.
- “Insuring International and Cross Border M&A Transactions: Assessing the Dynamics of Insuring Global M&A Risk, With a Focus on Market Outlook, Complications, and Key Considerations,” speaker, National Advanced Forum on M & A Liability, New York, October 26, 2016.
- "Beyond Reps and Warranties Insurance: A Deeper Dive into Other Transactional Insurance Products, Including Tax Liability, Contingent Liability, and Environmental Policies, How They Facilitate M&A Deals, and Issues that are Unique to These Products," speaker, ACI Transactional Insurance Forum, New York, June 29, 2016.
- "Fundamentals of Construction Contracts: Understanding the Issues," speaker, Lorman Education Seminars, July 27, 2011.
- "Joint Defense Agreements: How To Make Them and How To Break Them"
- "Disputes Between Insurance Carriers and Agents"
J.D., Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 1985, Leading Articles Editor, Southwestern Law Review
B.A., Pomona College, 1982
United States Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
A Honduran mother and her three children faced threats of violence and discrimination in their home country and needed help winning asylum in New York. A domestic violence shelter in Utah was trying to expand its reach and serve hundreds of additional families. Throughout 2023, Haynes and Boone, LLP attorneys volunteered more than 15,000 hours towards causes like these as part of its robust pro bo [...]