Martha Wyrick is an associate in the Restructuring Practice Group in the Dallas office of Haynes and Boone. Her practice focuses on all areas of restructuring, including in- and out-of- court workouts, bankruptcy litigation, counterparty insolvency and risk management, distressed M&A, lender representation, creditor representation, and Chapter 11 debtor representation. She has represented clients in a broad range of industries including oil and gas, energy, construction, and retail, among others. She has also represented various international clients, through chapter 15 or complex, worldwide, multi-party workouts.
Martha is active in the Texas bankruptcy bar, and is the current Education Chair of the Houston Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association (TMA). Martha also serves on the Board for the International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC). Martha regularly takes on pro bono work with Haynes and Boone and most recently assisted with the preparation of an amicus brief with the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals. Martha also enjoys working with and mentoring law students to give a little bit back to her community.
Prior to joining Haynes and Boone, Martha clerked for the Honorable U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Jeff Bohm in Houston, Texas. She attended the University of Houston Law Center, where she served on the Houston Law Review and worked in the immigration legal clinic.
- Representation of Fairway Energy, LP and its affiliates in their Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
- Representation of the Canadian Court-appointed Receiver for BOS Solutions Ltd. in its Chapter 15 proceedings in the Southern District of Texas.
- Representation of Charles A. Beckham, Jr. in his capacity as the fee examiner in the chapter 11 reorganization of iHeart Media.
- Representation of Zenith Bank as the senior lender in the bankruptcy cases of Erin Energy Corporation.
- Represented Charles A. Beckham, Jr. in his capacity as the fee examiner in the chapter 11 reorganization of offshore oil driller, Seadrill Limited, to review over $130 million in professional fees and expenses.
- Representation of the administrative agent for a $200 million syndicated credit facility in the chapter 11 bankruptcy of an oil and gas exploration and production company in Oklahoma City.
- Served as local counsel for first lien and second lien lender, Ascribe Capital Investments, during the sale and liquidation chapter 11 of seismic data company, Geokinetics.
- Representation of Board Members in Chapter 11 cases in the Western District of Pennsylvania.
- NextGen (Young Professionals) section of the Houston Turnaround Management Association (TMA), board member 2017-2018; secretary 2018-2019; NextGen chair 2019-2022
- Houston TMA, Chair of the Education Committee, 2022 – current
- Dallas TMA, Board Member, 2022 – current
- Houston IWIRC, recording secretary, 2019 – 2022; membership, 2022 - current
- National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, NextGen Class of 2021
- “Bankruptcy Litigation Manual: What Civil Litigators Need to Know” (Second Ed.), contributing author, American Bankruptcy Institute, 2021.
- “Can you Join My Team? Retention of Professionals in Chapter 11 Cases,” co-author, 39th Annual Jay L. Westbrook Bankruptcy Conference, November 2020.
- “Weathering the Economic Storm: Are PPP Loans and Bankruptcy Reorganizations Mutually Exclusive Options?” co-author, Haynes and Boone client alert, May 7, 2020.
- "Won't you be my Neighbor? Cross Border Insolvency Issues with Mexico," co-author, The Next Chapter in Bankruptcy & Insolvency Conference 10th Circuit Chapter of the American College of Bankruptcy Santa Fe, New Mexico August 23, 2019.
- “Adequate Protections: A new Hope, or Perhaps, the Empire Strikes Back,” co-author, 37th Annual Jay L. Westbrook Bankruptcy Conference, November 2018.
- "Ensuring Asset Purchases Cleansed Through Bankruptcy Stay Free and Clear," co-author, The Review of Banking and Financial Services, Volume 23, No. 5, May 2018.
- "How the Military Processes Reports of Domestic Violence," 5 HLRe 1, 2016.
- "Immigration and Appellate Litigation: The Humanitarian Conundrum," co-author, 2015.
J.D., University of Houston Law Center, 2016, Houston Law Review, Board 53
B.A., McMurry University, 2013, magna cum laude
Term Clerk to the Honorable Bankruptcy Judge Jeff Bohm, 2016 - 2017
Intern to the Honorable Judge Gray Miller, 2014
The Global M&A Network recognized three Haynes and Boone, LLP teams with 2021 Turnaround Atlas Awards in New York City this week. The awards honor value-creating transactions, outstanding firms and professionals of the year from the restructuring, investing, and insolvency communities during a virtual ceremony. Read about the Haynes and Boone honorees below: McDermott International Restructurin [...]