Patrick Hughes has represented countless business debtors, secured creditors and court appointed committees in numerous restructuring cases throughout the country. Pat also has had an active business litigation practice, and he has also counseled boards and management teams on a variety of transactional and litigation matters which arise out of restructuring situations, including the purchase and sale of assets and litigation arising in these situations.
Pat’s practice has involved key roles in some of the largest business bankruptcy cases filed. He is credited with a number of reported court decisions in many other noteworthy cases of regional and national significance. While his practice has encompassed all types of businesses, he has particular experience in restructuring matters affecting energy companies, and companies subject to mass tort or large litigation claims. As a fellow in the American College of Bankruptcy and by his inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc. (2008-2019) he is recognized in the field as someone who understands what the bankruptcy and restructuring process can do, and how it may help solve problems.
Pat’s experience includes his lead role for large and middle market debtor companies operating in the energy industry, such as Tri-Union Development Corporation, Pisces Energy, LLC, Coral Petroleum, Inc., United Refining, Inc., Great Western Coal Company, each in Chapter 11 reorganization cases. He has similarly represented energy companies in out-of-court restructurings.
His representation of official committees in Chapter 11 cases has included significant bankruptcy cases such as Dow Corning Corporation, Birraporetti's Restaurants, Partners Oil Company, and Sakowitz, Inc.
Pat has also had key roles for creditors and parties-in-interest in a number of mass tort restructuring and bankruptcy cases, such as Federal Mogul Corporation, Dow Corning Corporation, Armstrong Industries, GAF Corp., Quigley Corporation, Garlock Corporation, and Pittsburgh Corning Corp. He has also had significant creditor representation in the EFH Holdings, General Motors and Lyondell Chemical chapter 11 cases.
Pat also has represented significant interested parties in virtually all industry groups, including Ignite Restaurants (casual dining), Forest Park Medical (healthcare), Santa Fe Gold (mining), Buccaneer Resources (Alaska Energy), SWB River Square (multifamily), Commercial Credit Group (construction lending), and many others.
In addition to his business focused practice, Pat is dedicated to the provision of legal services for the poor. He has been recognized by the state and local bar for his work as chair of the Houston Bar Association’s bankruptcy pro bono section since its inception in 1999. Pat also handles individual indigent consumer bankruptcy cases on a regular basis to give them a fresh start. He is especially proud of those clients who have gained a renewed sense of purpose, and who are able to rebuild their lives for the future.
Pat is committed to ensuring his clients are directly involved in the legal process that affects them. He has been certified as a business bankruptcy specialist by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization since 1989, when the specialty was first recognized.
Pat is dedicated to supporting our community, and sponsors scholarships at The South Texas College of Law Houston and the Houston High School Hockey Association as part of his efforts to promote good values in our society.
- Secured Creditor and proposed Exit Lender to a large independent oil and gas company in restructuring proceedings under the CCAA, the Canadian bankruptcy reorganization statute, including representation of the lender in the chapter 15 proceeding that was filed in the United States.
- Large and middle market debtor companies such as Tri-Union Development Corporation, Pisces Energy, LLC, Coral Petroleum, Inc., United Refining, Inc., Great Western Coal Company in operating Chapter 11 reorganization cases.
- National and international companies in bankruptcy cases of all sizes.
- Businesses and individuals, including attorneys and law firms as clients, in connection with creditors rights issues that arise in bankruptcy, litigation, and transactional matters, including negotiations to restructure indebtedness and legal issues affecting the restructuring or reorganization of business operations and contracts.
- Companies large and small in substantial non-bankruptcy and creditors' rights litigation matters with an emphasis on debtor-creditor and bankruptcy litigation issues, including disputes involving prejudgment and post judgment remedies.
- Creditor's committees (both official and ad hoc) in significant debtor bankruptcy cases such as Dow Corning Corporation, Birraporetti's Restaurants, Partners Oil Company, and Sakowitz, Inc.
- Banks, equipment lenders, and financial institutions as secured creditors in real estate, oil and gas, retail and operating corporate debtor bankruptcy cases.
- Significant creditors and parties in interest in mass tort bankruptcy cases such as Dow Corning Corporation, Armstrong Industries, GAF Corp. and Pittsburgh Corning Corp.
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Colorado
- Houston Bar Association
- Former Editor-in-Chief for Notes Section of the Texas Bar Journal (the Texas State Bar's monthly magazine)
- Former Editor-in-Chief for the Houston Lawyer (the Houston Bar Association's bi-monthly magazine)
- Chairman of HBA - SD Texas Bankruptcy Pro Bono Program
- Moller Foltz Bankruptcy Inns of Court Executive Committee and Program Chair
- Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy
- Received the International Law Office (ILO) and Lexology Client Choice award in the Insolvency and Restructuring category, Globe Business Publishing Ltd, 2013
- Recognized by Chambers USA, Chambers & Partners, for Bankruptcy in Texas, 2011-2015
- Selected for inclusion in Colorado Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2020-2022
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, for Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights, 2007-2020; Business Litigation, 2015-2016
- Recognized as one of The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights Law/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2008-2023
- AV® Peer Review Rated Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell® Law Directory
- Featured in Lawdragon 500 Leading Global Restructuring and Insolvency Lawyers and U.S. Bankruptcy and Restructuring Lawyers listings, 2020-2022
J.D., University of Houston Law Center, 1983
B.A., University of Texas at Austin, 1980, with high honors
United States Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
Haynes and Boone, LLP Partners John Fognani and Patrick L. Hughes are included in the 2022 edition of the Colorado Super Lawyers legal directory published by Thomson Reuters. Counsel Ian Rainey was listed as a 2022 Rising Star. John is an environmental lawyer, Pat is a restructuring lawyer, and Ian is an intellectual property (IP) lawyer in the firm’s Denver office. Super Lawyers is a rating se [...]