Scott Jarratt helps clients both obtain and defend against technology-intensive patents. Drawing upon his industry experience, Scott serves as lead counsel in inter partes review proceedings (IPRs) and helps resolve patent disputes across numerous technological fields including wireless telecommunications and consumer electronics. He currently serves on the Board of Directors for the PTAB Bar Association.
Patent Post-Grant Proceedings
Consistently recognized as one of the “Best Performing Attorneys representing Petitioners” (Patexia 2018, 2022), Scott has counseled clients in dozens of IPRs and other post-grant proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. His deep technical understanding and hands-on advocacy has resulted in successful outcomes for several prominent technology companies involved in high-stakes disputes.
Patent Portfolio Evaluation and Prosecution
Scott also advises clients, both large and small, on patent portfolio matters and patent prosecution strategies. For example, he counsels clients through licensing conflicts by developing technical invalidity and non-infringement positions to drive favorable results. Scott has also prepared and prosecuted patent applications in a broad range of technological areas and advised clients building patent portfolios.
Scott’s technical experience includes standards-essential wireless telecommunications (e.g., LTE, UMTS), mobile applications and devices, HEVC (H.265), navigation systems, semiconductor devices and manufacturing, cloud computing, multimedia streaming, and medical devices.
Prior to attending law school, Scott was a software engineer at a Fortune 50 technology company where he developed enterprise security solutions.
- Board of Directors, PTAB Bar Association
- Recognized as one of the "Top 100 Best Performing Attorneys" representing petitioners (23rd overall) in Patexia Inc.'s PTAB Intelligence Report, 2023
- Recognized as one of the "Top 100 Best Performing Attorneys" representing petitioners and patent owners (53rd overall) in Patexia Inc.'s PTAB Intelligence Report, 2023
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2023-2024
- Recognized as one of the “Best Performing Attorneys representing Petitioners” (23rd overall) in Patexia Inc.'s IPR Intelligence Report, 2022
- Recognized as a "Rising Star," 2019 and listed as a "Noble Practitioner," 2021 in Managing Intellectual Property Magazine’s “IP STARS,” Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC
- Recognized as one of the “Top 50 Best Performing Attorneys representing Petitioners” (16th overall) in Patexia Inc.'s IPR Intelligence Report, 2018
- “Trial Lawyer’s Guide to Post Grant Patent Proceedings,” contributor, LexisNexis Publishing, ed. 2017-2020.
- “Good for the Gander: Patent Owners Face IPR Estoppel, Too,” co-author, The Patent Law. 8-10, Sep.-Oct. 2020.
- “A Closer Look at Fed. Circ. Guidance For PTAB In MaxLinear,” IPLaw360, Feb. 26, 2018.
- “Recent Developments in Intellectual Property Practice,” presenter, Intellectual Property Panel Discussion with Haynes and Boone, Dallas, Texas, November 1, 2017.
- “Roundtable Discussion among Litigators and Prosecutors Concerning PTAB Proceedings,” presenter, Institute for Law and Technology’s 54th Annual Conference on Intellectual Property Law, the Center for American and International Law, Plano, Texas, November 15, 2016.
- “PTAB Trial Proceedings Boot Camp – Mock Oral Hearing,” presenter, Institute for Law and Technology’s PTAB Bench and Bar Conference, the Center for American and International Law, Plano, Texas, October 18, 2016.
J.D., Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 2009, cum laude
B.S., Computer Engineering, University of Notre Dame, 2003, cum laude
Judicial Intern, Justice Douglas S. Lang of the Texas Fifth District Court of Appeals
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Haynes and Boone, LLP and nine of its lawyers are included in the 2023 edition of Patexia Inc.’s PTAB Intelligence Report on the nation’s leaders in all proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). Among the report’s highlights are a number of improved standings: Haynes Boone ranked as the seventh most active firm overall (representing petitioners or patent owners); the sixth best [...]