Jeremy Kennedy is a partner in the Energy, Power and Natural Resources Practice Group in Haynes Boone’s Houston office.
His practice focuses on upstream, midstream and downstream transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, and project development. Jeremy’s clients include oil and gas producers, operators, petrochemical manufacturers, oil field services companies, and energy financers.
Professional Affiliations and Engagements
- Houston Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Chesapeake Energy Corporation in its $2.5+B acquisition of Marcellus Shale oil and gas assets with a consideration consisting of cash and publicly traded securities;
- Chesapeake Energy Corporation in its $450M disposition of Powder River Basin oil and gas assets;
- A private equity backed U.S. energy company in $170 million acquisition of North Burbank and Texas Panhandle CO2 enhanced oil recovery (EOR) assets, including associated midstream infrastructure;
- Orion Mine Finance on its agreement to acquire Occidental Petroleum Corporation’s (Oxy) Wyoming, Colorado and Utah Land Grant assets for about $1.33B;
- Ecopetrol in connection with its $1.5B cash and carry joint venture with Occidental Petroleum in the Permian Basin;
- Ecopetrol in connection with a joint venture with Occidental Petroleum in the Delaware Basin;
- Chesapeake Energy Corporation in the $2 billion divestiture of Utica Shale oil and gas assets;
- A privately-held partnership in the $1.45 billion sale of their West Williston Basin assets, approximately 136,000 net acres with proved reserves of 43.9 MMBoe, in North Dakota and Montana to an affiliate of Oasis Petroleum, Inc.
- A public energy company in the $840 million disposition of upstream oil and gas assets in Oklahoma;
- A public energy company in its $200 million acquisition of upstream oil and gas assets in Texas and Oklahoma;
- A public energy company in its $385 million disposition of upstream and midstream oil and gas assets in Texas and Oklahoma;
- A public energy company in the re-negotiation of several gas gathering agreements covering assets in the Haynesville Shale and Appalachian Basin;
- A private equity backed seller in the $130 million disposition of upstream assets in the Woodbine, Eagle Ford and Buda formations in Texas;
- A private equity backed seller in the $70 million disposition of upstream assets in the Permian Basin in Texas;
- Domestic oil and gas company with more than 2.6 trillion cfe of natural gas reserves in the $540 million sale of its oil, natural gas and coal-bed methane assets in two states to a pair of publicly traded purchasers;
- U.S. exploration and production company in a joint venture to explore for oil and gas in the Black Sea off-shore Ukraine;
- UK-based biofuels company in connection with negotiation and implementation of feedstock supply, biodiesel processing and transportation contracts;
- Major oil company in its disposition of a California refinery and fuel retail business in California and the Southwestern United States;
- Canadian independent exploration and production company in its bid to acquire refining assets along the Texas Gulf Coast valued at approximately $6 billion;
- NOC in negotiation and implementation of an FPSO for the development of deepwater oil and gas assets in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico;
- Project finance lenders in connection with project financing of Delta House semi-submersible offshore floating production system in the US Gulf of Mexico;
- Project developer in development of a gas fired power facility in Peru;
- Major energy company in the development of an offshore LNG import terminal in the Bahamas;
- Project developer with respect to an LNG import terminal project in Pascagoula, Mississippi; and
- Energy company in the securing of a $40 million loan to monetize a royalty on LNG tolled at certain U.S. facilities.
Some of these representations were handled by Jeremy prior to joining Haynes Boone.
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., for Oil and Gas Law, 2024
- Recognized by Chambers USA, Chambers and Partners, as a leading lawyer in Energy: Oil & Gas (Transactional) – Nationwide, 2023
- "What’s Market: US Oil & Gas Sector 2022 in Review," contributor, Thomson Reuters Practical Law, March 2023.
J.D., Texas Tech University School of Law, 2003, summa cum laude; Editor-in-chief, Texas Tech Law Review, Order of the Coif
B.A., Business Administration and Management, The University of Texas at Austin, 1998
To read this article on Thomson Reuters Practical Law, click the title link below. What’s Market: US Oil and Gas Sector 2022 in Review