Recognized in Patexia’s CAFC Intelligence Report as the eighth most active attorney representing appellees and eleventh most active overall in the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, Debbie McComas is deeply invested in helping her clients achieve positive results in patent appeals. Patexia’s recent recognition highlights a long career of patent litigation experience. Debbie was admitted to the Federal Circuit in 1998 and has been active in patent litigation and appeals throughout her career.
Debbie’s success in the patent arena derives from a broader career as a litigation and appellate practitioner with broad experience across the nation, as well as in the State of Texas. Debbie has argued before the Texas Supreme Court, petitioned the United States Supreme Court, helped draft model patent jury charges for the Federal Circuit Bar Association, and defended foreign sovereigns from multiple continents. She regularly appears in courts throughout the country. Whether before a federal district court in the Southern District of New York or West Texas, Debbie dedicates herself to her clients and brings practical solutions to uncommon problems.
She argued to the Texas Supreme Court, as well as numerous stated and federal circuit courts of appeals. Debbie defends foreign and global corporations and sovereign nations in cross-border disputes, often obtaining dismissal on jurisdictional grounds before discovery. Her extensive knowledge of both state and federal procedure and her ability to quickly grasp facts and legal issues allows her to aid her clients on a broad array of subjects, be it oil and gas, complicated jurisdictional disputes, or patent infringement.
A consummate advocate, Debbie is also dedicated to her community. She is proud to have served as co-chair of Haynes and Boone’s Pro Bono and Public Service Committee. She is honored to have received the Light of Justice Award from the Texas Defender Service for her pro bono achievements. And she serves on the steering committee for the Women of Tocqueville Society of the United Way of Metropolitan Dallas, where she recently received the Give Award.
- Obtained reversal of a PTAB Final Written Decision of patentability, securing a remand to allow the petitioner to challenge the patent claims on obviousness grounds
- Successfully argued case of first impression regarding shareholder derivative actions to the Texas Supreme Court
- Representation of gas well operator and owner in arbitration seeking damages from service company that damaged well during cement operations
- Representation of oil and gas operator’s interests in lawsuit over joint operating agreement
- Representation of lenders in various lawsuits involving oil and gas interests
- Representation of real estate interests in property disputes
- Representation of lender in $2.5 billion lender liability lawsuit stemming from the bankruptcy of Adelphia Communications Corporation and its subsidiaries
- Representation of foreign corporations in trade secrets disputes
- Representation of creditors in judgment enforcement proceedings, including enforcement of a more than $100 million judgment against an Indonesian corporation
- Representation of Cayman Islands bank in West Texas lender liability lawsuit, successfully affirming dismissal for lack of personal jurisdiction
- Federal Circuit Bar Association (2008-present), Model Patent Jury Charge Sub-Committee Member (2008-2009)
- Co-Chair, Dallas Bar Association Judiciary Committee (2006)
- Co-Vice Chair, Dallas Bar Association Judiciary Committee (2005)
- Co-Chair, Dallas Bar Association Judicial Evaluation Poll SubCommittee (2003, 2004)
- Recognized in Patexia's CAFC Intelligence Report as the 4th most active representing appellees, 2022
- Recognized in Patexia’s CAFC Intelligence Report as the eight most active attorney representing appellees and eleventh most active overall, 2021
- Recognized as a "Legal Lion" by Law360 for a defense victory in an intellectual property trial in the Eastern District of Texas, 2019
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., for Appellate Practice, 2020-2023, Commercial Litigation, 2022-2023, Litigation- Intellectual Property, 2023
- Honored with the Texas Defender Service Light of Justice Award, 2014
- Texas Super Lawyers - Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, Appellate, 2004-2008
J.D., Tulane University, 1995, cum laude; Managing Editor, Tulane Maritime Law Journal; Associate Justice, Tulane Moot Court Board
B.A., Austin College, 1990, with honors
A Hayne Boone team led by Partner Stephanie Sivinski persuaded the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals to uphold a rare defense judgment the firm won in an IP jury trial in the Eastern District of Texas. The Federal Circuit also reversed a smaller breach-of-contract judgment against our client, resulting in a complete defense victory in this bet-the-company case. After a weeklong trial before Chief [...]