Ian T. Peck
Ian Peck handles complex Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases, out-of-court workouts, and distressed mergers and acquisitions transactions across range of industries. Ian understands that debt restructuring or bankruptcy can often be the most stressful and critical event in a client’s history and he brings a sense of calm determination to each restructuring engagement.
Ian’s experience involves leading roles in some of the largest restructuring cases in recent history, including serving as lead counsel for a bankrupt bank holding company facing claims of over $2 billion, and representing one of the world’s largest generators and marketers of electricity in its successful Chapter 11 reorganization. Recently, Ian led the successful Chapter 11 reorganization of nationwide retailer Tuesday Morning, which resulted in payment of creditors in full and reinstatement of equity, despite the extreme challenges imposed by COVID-19.
Ian also has extensive experience in middle-market cases, including representing a manufacturer and operator of helicopters in their successful restructuring as well as guiding the largest retail liquor chain in Texas and a 400-store furniture retailer through the Chapter 11 process. Outside of the courtroom, Ian has helped several companies renegotiate their financial and contractual obligations to avoid contentious litigation or lengthy reorganization proceedings.
One of Ian’s core strengths is his ability to listen to his clients and develop and execute strategies that place them in the best position to accomplish their financial and operational goals. These skills are particularly applicable to representations of private equity firms or their distressed portfolio companies. Many healthy corporations rely on Ian’s business sense and advice on transactions and litigation with financial troubled counterparties.
Ian frequently speaks throughout the country on bankruptcy topics, including various Chapter 11 plan issues and retail bankruptcies. Ian is also a prolific author, having published scholarly articles throughout his career and having served as a contributing author to the Bloomberg Law: Bankruptcy Treatise, the first comprehensive bankruptcy treatise published in the last 40 years.
Ian is an active member of numerous industry associations and serves the community through his pro bono work, including obtaining asylum in the United States for a client who was violently persecuted in her native country.
- Representation of nationwide retailer Tuesday Morning Corporation in its successful Chapter 11 reorganization that resulted in payment in full to creditors and reinstatement of equity.
- Representation of Erickson Incorporated and its affiliates in their Chapter 11 reorganization in the Northern District of Texas. Erickson confirmed a plan of reorganization less than five months after filing for bankruptcy; which reduced Erickson’s debt by over $400 million.
- Representation of The Picture People in its Chapter 11 case in the Northern District of Texas.
- Representation of Centennial Beverage Group in its Chapter 11 case in the Northern District of Texas.
- Representation of Guaranty Financial Group Inc. and three of its affiliates in their complex Chapter 11 cases in the Northern District of Texas. Through its subsidiaries, GFG formerly owned Guaranty Bank, which operated more than 100 bank branches in Texas and California and, as of year-end 2007, had consolidated assets of more than $16 billion.
- Representation of American LaFrance, one of the oldest fire-apparatus manufacturers in America, in its Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Representation of furniture retailer The Bombay Company in its Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Representation of Mirant Corporation, one of the world’s largest generators and marketers of electricity, in its successful Chapter 11 reorganization.
- Representation of Kitty Hawk, Inc. and ten of its affiliates in Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Representation of Kevco, Inc. and its affiliates in Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Representation of various debtors and creditors in matters throughout the United States, particularly in the telecommunications, healthcare and energy industries.
- Dallas Bar Association, Bankruptcy & Commercial Law Section (Former Chair)
- State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Turnaround Management Association
- Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Litigation - Bankruptcy, 2014-2023
- Recognized as a leading lawyer in Texas for Bankruptcy/Restructuring, Chambers USA, Chambers and Partners, 2012-2023
- Recognized by D Magazine, D Magazine Partners, as one of the Best Lawyers in Dallas, 2015-2020, 2022-2023
- Recognized in 2022 for having been included in Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, top-attorney lists for 10 years or more
- Recognized in Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, Bankruptcy, 2013-2022
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition, Thomson Reuters, 2004-2012
- Featured in Lawdragon 500 Leading Global Restructuring and Insolvency Lawyers and U.S. Bankruptcy and Restructuring Lawyers listings, 2020-2022
J.D., Vanderbilt University Law School, 1999, Professional Authorities Editor, Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law
B.A., English, University of Oklahoma, 1996, summa cum laude
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
A Haynes and Boone, LLP team led by Partner Ian Peck has been honored by the Turnaround Management Association (TMA) for its representation of Tuesday Morning Corporation in its successful reorganization and emergence from Chapter 11. Haynes Boone received the 2021 Large Company Turnaround/Transaction of the Year Award. The TMA Turnaround and Transaction Awards, among the most well known in the r [...]
Haynes Boone Lawyers and Practices Rank Among Industry Best in Chambers USA 2023June 01, 2023