Catherine Robb is counsel in the Business Litigation Practice Group in the Austin office of Haynes and Boone. Catherine represents clients in the broadcast industry. Her practice is focused on commercial and business litigation, First Amendment litigation, pre-publication review and editing, copyright and trademark litigation, general commercial litigation, open government issues and privacy concerns. She advises clients concerning media law issues for an extensive array of content providers including online and traditional newspapers, magazines, radio and broadcasters, cable television stations, production companies and music entities.
- McClain v. USA Today Newspaper, 2010 WL 2404651 (Tex. App. - Dallas 2010).
- Rosenfeld v. Twentieth Century Fox Film Corp., 37 Med. L. Rptr. 1348 (C.D. Cal. 2009).
- In re BP Products North America Inc., 263 S.W.3d 117 (Tex. App. - Hou. [1st Dist.] 2006, no pet.).
- PBS Board of Directors, elected to Board of Directors, 2020
- Texas Lyceum, named to the Board, 2015
- Health Alliance for Austin Musicians (HAAM), board member
- Austin Film Society, board member, 2006-2013, Former Board President
- Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders, board member 2006-2012, Former Board Vice-Chair
- Austin Music Foundation, board member, 2004-2010
- Humanities Texas, board member, 2007-2013, Treasurer 2011-2012, Secretary 2012-2013, Current Alumni Board Co-Chair
- LBJ Library Future Forum, founder, board member, and former chairman, 2002-2013
- Austin's PBS station, KLRU, board member and former board chair, Austin City Limits Committee member
- Mayor's Health and Fitness Council, board member
- Sargent Shriver National Center on Poverty Law, board member, 2004-2011, 2015-present
- American Heart Association (Capital Area Division), board member, 2003-2009
- State Bar of Texas, appointed member of the Judicial Relations Committee, 2001-2004 and 2008-2009
- University of Texas School of Undergraduate Studies, advisory council, 2012-present
- LBJ School of Public Affairs, advisory council, 2011-present
- Texas Exes Council Member, 2012-2018
- The University of Texas' Commission of 125 and Service to Society Committee, member, 2002-2004
- Leadership Austin, member and 2003 Graduate
- The First Amendment Institute's First Amendment Leadership Program graduate, 2002
- The Seton Forum, former member
- Reading is Fundamental of Austin, volunteer
- Volunteer Legal Services, volunteer
- Trinity Center, volunteer
- Back on My Feet, volunteer
- American Inns of Court - Lloyd Lochridge Inn of Court, President
- Media Law Resource Center, member, Entertainment Law Committee, member
- American Bar Association, Forum on Communications Law, member, chair of Women in Communications Law Committee
- Texas Bar Association
- Austin Bar Association
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., for Litigation - First Amendment, 2020-2022.
- "Hot Issues in Libel & Privacy," facilitator, ABA 26th Annual Forum on Communications Law Conference, January 27-February 2, 2021.
- "Texas Anti-SLAPP Law," co-presenter, CLE Presentation, Travis County Judiciary, October 8, 2015.
- "Lawsuits Over Political Ads Raise Questions Over Defamation," interviewee, KVUE News, May 2012.
- "Beyond Thunderdome: The Internet and Social media get Political," KVUE News, May 2012.
- "Strategies for Efficiently and Economically Winning a Media Case," co-author, ABA/TIPS Media Newsletter, Spring 2011.
- Reporter's Privilege Compendium, co-author, The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, 2010.
- "Local Non-Profit Threatened with Lawsuit Over Documentary Showing," Interviewee, KVUE News, April 2010.
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, 1998, with honors
B.A., University of Virginia, 1992
Law Clerk, Judge W. Royal Furgeson, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas, 1998-1999
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
United States Supreme Court
Haynes and Boone, LLP had another impressive showing in The Best Lawyers in America directory published by Woodward/White, Inc., with a cross section of lawyers from offices across the country recognized in the 2022 edition. The guide includes more than 100 firm lawyers from the Austin, Charlotte, Chicago, Costa Mesa, Dallas, Dallas-North, Denver, Fort Worth, Houston, New York, Palo Alto, San Anto [...]