Haynes Boone lawyers have been helping clients successfully thrive and take advantage of new business opportunities in Mexico for more than 30 years. Our experience and capabilities are highly valuable to clients who are seeking sophisticated legal solutions to overcome unique and complex legal issues that often arise in international commerce.
Many companies have been setting up manufacturing operations in Mexico or relocating them there to provide nearshoring services to the U.S. market. That has occurred in part as a result of the opportunities arising from the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) agreement and the lower risk of supply chain disruptions compared to other global locations.
We work with individuals, corporations, private equity firms and developers on all types of engagements involving manufacturing operations in Mexico. They appreciate the individualized approach and strategic thinking that we bring to the table. Our clients have access to a highly-experienced and well-tested team of lawyers across our transactional, regulatory and dispute resolution groups who assist with the following:
- Helping clients assess and navigate nearshoring opportunities
- Planning and setting up maquiladora operations in Mexico
- Establishing effective business and legal structures for companies in Mexico
- Forming foreign branches and subsidiaries, franchises, agencies and distributorships
- Foreign investment issues, reporting and authorizations
- International taxation and foreign tax credit planning
- Real estate acquisition, sale, leasing and shelter maquiladora schemes
- Mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures
- Cross-border commercial litigation and arbitration
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) issues
- Licenses and technology transfers
- Labor and union matters
- Immigration compliance and employee related issues
- Requirements to obtain consents for the acquisition or investment in Mexican businesses from governmental agencies and other regulators
Why Haynes Boone?
Experience: Broad cross-border experience in infrastructure, manufacturing, M&A, finance, real estate and tax.
Training: Our fully bilingual and bi-cultural team in Mexico City includes legal professionals licensed in Mexico and the U.S. and trained in both legal systems. We also have Mexican lawyers working in our U.S. offices and vice-versa.
Client Service: We offer one stop for a full array of legal services that are instrumental to companies doing business in the U.S. and Mexico.
Trade Agreements: We are at the forefront of the USMCA and other cross-border agreements and treaties; we routinely help clients navigate USMCA provisions.
Value: We staff matters properly with an aim to deliver exceptional value from the start.
Reputation: Our firm has been named among the leading law firms by publications such as The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc. (2022); Chambers USA and Chambers Global, Chambers and Partners (2022); Latinvex (2022); and the Legal 500 Latin America Directory (2022).
Nearshoring to Mexico has become more and more popular among businesses during the last two years mainly due to supply chain challenges for manufacturers of goods in countries outside of North America, such as China and others in the Asia-Pacific region. About 88 percent of U.S.-based small and medium-sized businesses will shift their supply chains towards using suppliers from Mexico or the U.S., [...]
Haynes Boone Advises Nexgen Packaging in Strategic Investments in Mexico and GuatemalaOctober 21, 2022