During his 25 years as a corporate finance partner at Haynes and Boone, Paul Amiel has helped CEO’s, CFO’s, private equity sponsors and lenders of every type negotiate, document and close billions of dollars of debt financings. Clients who rely on Paul to represent them in these critical negotiations, whether they are small business owners, public companies, local financial institutions or large money-center banks, value his broad experience in all types of debt, his knowledge of market trends, his practical approach to negotiations and most of all his commitment to understanding and focusing on the client’s goals.
Paul’s experience early in his career representing Texas banks, savings and loan associations and other financial institutions in structuring and documenting loan transactions and workouts has given him the knowledge to successfully represent his corporate and private equity clients as they negotiate financing transactions with their lenders – transactions which are frequently vital to the continued success of their operations. Paul has broad experience in documenting and negotiating senior secured and unsecured debt, second lien loans, mezzanine investments and other forms of subordinated debt, as well as all forms of acquisition financing. Paul also represents clients in drafting and negotiating various types of commercial contracts and counseling them on general corporate matters. Paul’s technical experience, coupled with his practical approach, has won him the respect of both his peers and his clients.
Prior to commencing his legal career with Haynes and Boone, Paul spent six years as a naval officer serving on Admiral Rickover’s staff at the United States division of Naval Reactors, learning firsthand the importance of commitment to ideals and a rigorous approach to one’s vocation. This training helped Paul recognize that understanding a client’s business and goals is equally as important as technical legal skills. With a finance degree from Notre Dame, an MBA from George Washington University and a law degree from University of Virginia, Paul has the educational background and knowledge necessary to fully comprehend the challenges of operating a successful business in today’s challenging business environment.
Paul has served as a member of the board of directors of several local charitable organizations. He has been involved with many of Haynes and Boone’s internal committees, and served as the firm’s chief information officer for more than 20 years.
- Represented Blucora, Inc. in securing a $175,000,000 incremental term loan to finance the acquisition of HK Financial Services, a CPA-focused, captive registered investment advisor.
- Represented public insurance agency in the amendment and restatement of a $105mm syndicated credit facility.
- Represented Landry’s, Inc. and its subsidiaries in a $300 million increase to the existing term facility and a $30 million increase to the existing revolving facility in connection with the acquisition, and joinder to the facilities, of the Del Frisco Restaurant Group.
- Representation of private equity firm in its acquisition of a manufacturer of specialty paper, and related acquisition financing of senior and subordinated secured loans collateralized by real and personal property.
- Representation of a company engaged in the acquisition, development and exploration of oil and natural gas properties in connection with the public offering of $750 million of senior unsecured notes and a $1.2 billion revolving credit facility secured by oil and gas properties and other upstream and midstream assets.
- Representation of a leading manufacturer and aftermarket service provider of comprehensive flow management products and services in negotiating and documenting a $1 billion credit agreement secured by a pledge of the capital stock in each of its domestic subsidiaries and certain stock of its material foreign subsidiaries.
- Representation of a design, development, marketing and distribution company specializing in watches sold under the company's proprietary and licensed brands in negotiating and documenting a senior secured $350 million credit agreement.
- Representation of an international apparel manufacturing company in connection with the negotiation and documentation of a $140 million senior secured revolving credit facility, secured by real and personal property.
- Representation of one of the largest dining, hospitality and entertainment companies in the United States in connection with a $287 million senior secured revolving credit and term loan credit facility and a public offering of $650 million of subordinated notes, each secured by real and personal property assets managed by domestic subsidiaries.
- Workout of $500 million of secured real estate loans to limited partnerships through a roll-up into a master limited partnership.
- Representation of a gaming company in the development and construction financing of riverboat casinos involving a $90 million public debt offering and a $60 million private placement.
- Numerous secured and unsecured working capital lines of credit, senior and subordinated financings, real estate financings and acquisition financings.
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Florida State Bar, Business Law and Computer Law Sections
- Dallas Bar Computer Use and Technology Section
- Texas Association of Bank Counsel
- Listed in Chambers USA, Chambers and Partners, for Banking and Finance (Texas), 2017-2021
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., for Banking and Finance Law, 2020-2022
- Featured in D Magazine's Best Lawyers list for Banking and Finance, D Magazine Partners, 2014-2017, 2019-2020
- Recognized in Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters for Securities and Corporate Finance, 2004-2016; Banking, Business/Corporate, 2014-2016
- Martindale Hubbell Law Directory with a Peer Review Rating of AV Preeminent
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1982
M.B.A., George Washington University, 1978
B.A., University of Notre Dame, 1973, high honors
A Haynes and Boone, LLP team lead by Partner Tom Harris represented Brookshire Grocery Co. (BGC) in its acquisition of Reasor’s LLC’s 17 grocery stores in Oklahoma. The transaction was completed Jan. 25, 2022. With the acquisition, BGC now has more than 200 stores with close to 20,000 employee-partners serving Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas and Oklahoma. “We are excited for the opportunity to wor [...]