Steven Buxbaum has many years of experience in the areas of corporate and partnership law, mergers and acquisitions, governance and general business transactions across a number of industries, including airlines, distribution, oil and gas and oilfield service and supply, hospitality, homebuilding, cable television, newspaper publishing, bioscience and medical technology.
Steve’s experience includes debt and equity restructuring and the representation of sellers and purchasers of business enterprises, including sales and acquisitions effected under Section 363 of the United States Bankruptcy Code and through Chapter 11 plans of reorganization. Steve also represents start-up entities, investors and investor groups and individuals, funds and entities in private debt and equity financing and a broad range of business transactions. He has also represented claimants' committees and the legal representative for future claimants in mass tort Chapter 11 cases and represents the resulting settlement trusts, as well as a claims processing facility.
Early in his career, Steve spent 10 years as the in-house vice president and general counsel of a major industrial and oilfield distribution company, providing him with an excellent background in the issues important to businesses and an understanding of the interplay of their administrative and operations functions as well as the ability to view issues from the perspectives of management and owners.
With many years of experience, Steve is a trusted advisor to his clients, acting as an outside general counsel to many of them, and values highly the personal relationships he has built with his clients over the years.
Steve was recognized by The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., for Corporate Law, 2016-2021. He is AV® Peer Review Rated Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory.
- Represented a Houston based communications company and its subsidiaries in its merger into a global cellular and satellite communications company, and the simultaneous settlement of the company’s secured indebtedness.
- Represented Mariner Energy, Inc., as buyer, in connection with the bankruptcy auction and sale of the stock of Edge Petroleum Corporation and others as sellers, resulting in the acquisition of approximately $215 million of onshore assets after anticipated purchase price adjustments.
- Represented the selling shareholders of Delta Engineering Corporation in the sale of stock to Delta Engineering Holdings, Inc.
- Represented RhinoPak, L.P. in the sale of assets to ZXP Technologies, LLC.
- Represented an airline holding company in connection with the sale of stock to Northwest Airlines, Inc. and the Chapter 11 cases of both airlines and the settlement of claims.
- Represented Bacterial Barcodes, Inc. in the sale of the company to bioMerieux, Inc.
- Represented Spectral Genomics, Inc. in its sale to PerkinElmer, Inc.
- Represented Webxites, L.P. in the sale of its assets to Webxites Holdings, Inc.
- Represented investors in connection with the sale of ownership interests in a group of affiliated limited partnerships and limited liability companies owning storage warehouse properties.
- Represented a multistate homebuilder in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy and sale to a major national homebuilder.
- Represented a specialty affordable housing homebuilder to a major national homebuilder.
- Represented a regional passenger airline in its sale to a major U.S. carrier as part of the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of the regional carrier.
- Represented a major freight airline in its Chapter 11 restructuring, including the restructuring of over $1 billion of EETC financing.
- Represented a freight airline in its restructuring and subsequent sale of its assets in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- Represented the second lien agent and certain second lien (junior) lenders in the FX Luxury Las Vegas I, LLC bankruptcy case as part of a team that successfully obtained ownership for the firm's clients of a seventeen-acre property located on the Las Vegas strip across from City Center.
- Represented the Claimants' Committee in asbestos Chapter 11 bankruptcy case of National Gypsum Company including formation of settlement trust and claims procedures.
- Represented the ad hoc committee of asbestos claimants in the pre-packaged asbestos Chapter 11 bankruptcy case of Fuller-Austin Insulation Company and subsequently represented the Fuller-Austin Asbestos Settlement Trust.
- Represented the Future Claimants Representative for Silica Personal Injury Claims and Coal Tar Pitch Volatiles in the Kaiser Aluminum and Chemical Corporation Chapter 11 bankruptcy case and subsequently represented the KACC Silica PI trust and the KACC CTPV PI Trust.
- Represented the APG Silica Trust.
- Represented Trust Services, Inc., a claims processing facility.
- Represented Trustee for investors in connection with the removal of general partners and restructuring and liquidation of a group of affiliated real estate limited partnerships.
- Represented a healthcare information systems company in its sale through its Chapter 11 case to a publicly-held life sciences and technology company.
- Represented the independent committee of the board of directors in a five-company roll-up transaction with affiliated portfolio companies in the oilfield services industry.
- Represented an oilfield services company in its sale to a strategic industry buyer.
- Represented the general partners of affiliated restaurant partnerships in the buy-out of limited partners and the sale of certain assets.
- State Bar of Texas, Business Law Section, Corporation Laws Committee Member
- American Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Texas Bar Foundation, Sustaining Life Fellow
B.A., Economics, Dartmouth College, 1970, cum laude
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, 1973
Haynes and Boone, LLP had another impressive showing in The Best Lawyers in America directory published by Woodward/White, Inc., with a cross section of lawyers from offices across the country recognized in the 2022 edition. The guide includes more than 100 firm lawyers from the Austin, Charlotte, Chicago, Costa Mesa, Dallas, Dallas-North, Denver, Fort Worth, Houston, New York, Palo Alto, San Anto [...]