Gavin George’s practice encompasses privacy, data processing, technology transactions, and intellectual property in the information age. He counsels clients on international, federal, and state-level privacy compliance and transactional issues, including those related to the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). A designated Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) since 2014, he was recognized as a 2020 “Stand-out Lawyer” by Acritas Stars (Acritas).
Companies rely on Gavin to launch and guide their privacy compliance programs, including drafting privacy policies, creating data processing agreements, implementing personal information processing consents, handling data subject access requests, and consulting on data breach preparedness and response.
Gavin also facilitates business transactions involving the licensing, development, and transfer of software, data, technology, and creative works. Clients have engaged him to handle commercial software licenses, technology development agreements, information technology services contracts, software-as-a-service (SaaS) agreements, distribution agreements, cloud computing arrangements, and other outsourcing deals.
His clients appreciate Gavin’s significant experience related to open-source software, cloud platforms, sensitive and personal data, social media accounts, and health tracking, as well as the development of new software, mobile apps, video games and websites. Gavin also regularly advises on the intellectual property, privacy, data transfer, and technology transfer issues that arise in corporate mergers, acquisitions, capital investments, spin-offs, and bankruptcies. Gavin also advises on the compliance of customer communications with the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and the CAN-SPAM Act.
In addition to his law degree, Gavin holds a B.S. in chemical engineering.
- Drafts and negotiates information technology and data processing agreements on behalf of a major airline.
- Spent several months as acting general counsel for a fast-growing population health management company.
- Drafts and negotiates technology and services agreements on behalf of a global medical company.
- Represented Texas-based animal health product company in negotiation of an $50 million exclusive patent license to global animal healthcare company.
- Represented Altec Lansing, LLC and its Australian affiliate in the purchase of the assets of Avega Systems, Inc. and its Australian affiliate.
- State Bar of Texas
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Dallas Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., Technology Law, 2021
- Recognized as a Stand-out Lawyer, Acritas Stars, Acritas, 2020-2021
- Selected as an “On the Rise” attorney by Texas Lawyer as part of their Professional Excellence Awards, 2019
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, 2014-2019
- Recognized by D Magazine's "Best Lawyers in Dallas," D Magazine Partners, 2018, 2020
- "Data Privacy and Data Security Issues Post-GDPR," speaker, 16th Annual Advanced Business Law Course - TexasBar CLE, Dallas, November 8-9, 2018.
- “Technology Issues in M&A Transactions”, speaker, CLE presentation, December 14, 2017.
- "The Nexus Between Data Privacy and Trademarks," speaker, International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), October 17, 2016.
- "Technology, Telemedicine and Trends," speaker, Dallas Provider Conference: Latest Trends and Developments in the Healthcare Sector, October 20, 2016.
- "Taming the Wild West of Big Data: The Social Norms and Laws of Social Data," co-author, Dallas Business Journal Confidential, July 26, 2013.
- "Protecting User Data in Light of the FTC’s Recent Privacy Enforcement Actions," co-Author, State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting, Business Law Section and Corporate Counsel Section, June 21, 2013.
- "European Data Protection Directive and Safe Harbor," presentation, North Texas Information Systems Audit and Control Association, April 11, 2013.
- "Cloud Computing Service Agreements," Lexology, April 19, 2012.
- "Employee/Consultant IP Assignment: Abbott v. Epocal," presentation, February 14, 2012.
- "Domain Name Collateral and Trademark Tangles," Law360, January 19, 2012.
- "IP License Transfer in Mergers and Acquisitions," presentation, November 11, 2011.
- "Business Trends and Case Law Updates in Software Licenses," Dallas Bar Computer Law Section, January 2011.
J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 2007, Articles Editor; Michigan Telecomm. and Technology Law Review
B.S., Chemical Engineer, Brigham Young University, 2003, with honors
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Haynes and Boone, LLP had another impressive showing in The Best Lawyers in America directory published by Woodward/White, Inc., with a cross section of lawyers from offices across the country recognized in the 2022 edition. The guide includes more than 100 firm lawyers from the Austin, Charlotte, Chicago, Costa Mesa, Dallas, Dallas-North, Denver, Fort Worth, Houston, New York, Palo Alto, San Anto [...]