We have a long history of working with refiners, petrochemical companies, and other stakeholders in the downstream sector, including single-asset independents, major refineries and petrochemical complexes, as well as their financing entities. For refineries, we understand the immense layers of complexity that surround the operation of a refinery, from supply, off take, logistics, trade zones, tax consequences, importation and exportation, regulatory minefields, various modes of transport, and much more.
We also have handled significant matters involving retail oil and gas facilities and service stations. For example, we assisted a private equity firm in the acquisition of a refinery and associated distribution terminals plus over 50 retail gas stations in Hawaii; served as lead counsel in a monetization transaction in connection with a $1.5 billion acquisition of a refinery in British Columbia as well as its downstream assets (including more than 150 retail gas stations); and represented an oil and gas Major in opening its first branded retail gas station in Mexico – a landmark and historic transaction for our client.
Our general experience in the downstream sector includes the following:
- Joint ventures, partnerships, and strategic alliances in connection to the projects
- Preparation and negotiation of EPC Agreements
- Preparation and negotiation of operation and maintenance agreements
- Preparation and negotiation of long-term service agreements
- Preparation and negotiation supply and feedstock agreements
- Preparation and negotiation of interconnection agreements
- Preparation and negotiation of rights of way agreements
- Financing of projects, including project and asset finance and negotiation financing documentation including loan agreements, subordination agreements, intercreditor agreements, collateral documentation, and legal opinions
- Consulting regarding business and tax planning in connection with entity formation, insurance, and risk management related to projects
- Negotiations with Pemex, its subsidiaries and other governmental authorities
- Identification, analysis and management of environmental risks
Rob Patterson, an energy lawyer who represents clients in complex transactions across the globe, has joined Haynes and Boone, LLP as a partner in the London office. An English-qualified lawyer, Rob has substantial experience handling transactions in the oil and gas, power, petrochemicals and LNG sectors. His experience includes upstream oil and gas contracts, mergers and acquisitions, LNG sales, [...]